Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Northmont 27 Troy 7

I haven't written about this game until now because I haven't even wanted to think about it. I haven't read any of the articles or checked any of the stats. I know they have to be ugly.

Northmont turned the ball over six times. That's a lot. Still, the Trojans could get nothing going on offense. I don't think I've ever seen Troy's Wing-T offense get shut down so completely. Northmont's defense was just that good. I give them a lot of credit. They did a great job of rebounding from a loss the week before to previously winless Sidney. I can't quite figure out how that happened, but that's how it goes.

Northmont's starting QB, Clay Belton, returned from a broken thumb to play against the Trojans. He's one of the premier players in the state, with several scholarship offers. Personally, I wasn't all that impressed, at least not on this night. I'm sure that he was just rusty after being out of action for a couple of weeks. If he can get it back together (which I'm sure he will), with their defense, Northmont could be a real threat in the playoffs.

This loss puts a real hit on Troy's own playoff chances. There are still a lot of computer points up for grabs in the remaining three games, so I don't think they're completely out of it, but they can't afford another loss. That's a tall order, but we'll see what happens. They'll look to get back on track this Friday, at home for the first time since September 15, against Trotwood-Madison.

No comments: