Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Playing Catch-Up

  • The great house-hunting experiment is over. Sitting here right now, listening to people behind me talk about flooded basements and broken water heaters, I couldn't be happier about it. Brandi and I did go on Saturday to check out a few places, and we even found some that we liked. Thinking seriously about the numbers, though, we realized that it's not yet our time. So on Sunday we turned our attention to apartments instead, and we found one that we really like. Rent is a little expensive, but we should be able to swing it now that Brandi will be working full time. We'll be able to have a pet if we so desire (which, trust me, we do), and we (read: Brandi) can even paint a little bit. Now all that's left is for me to find a job in the area, and we can get the ball rolling on our move. Now that we've started looking at places and have a pretty good idea of where we're going to land, I'm getting even more excited.

  • Severe weather fascinates me, and I saw a fair share of it yesterday. It began to hail literally seconds after I got into my car after work, and nearly my entire drive home was done in a downpour. I managed to get past the storm slightly as I got into Bowling Green, then stood at my apartment windows and watched it approach. I was treated to several brilliant lightning strikes and some crazy cloud formations. I was secretly hoping for a funnel cloud. I'm sure I'd be terrified, but I'd really like to see one at some point.

    At any rate, despite the histrionics of the talking heads on the local news, yesterday's storm was really a disappointment. A lesser storm last Thursday caused a power outage for much of Bowling Green, including our apartment, shortly after Brandi got home from class for the evening. Power was out for around an hour and a half, just long enough for us to polish off a bottle of wine. I like a good power outage every now and then...spending some time by candlelight, and being forced to take a break from TV, Internet, and even electric light, is rather refreshing.

  • Brandi and I bought our tickets yesterday to see Spider-Man 3 at 12:30 a.m. on Friday. We're also slated to attend a special screening of Shrek the Third next Saturday, the 12th, which is six days before it opens. Sometimes being in the movie business (even if only tangentially) is pretty cool. There are quite a few movies that I want to see this summer (please note that Pirates of the Caribbean is not on the list), so this is a good way to kick it off.

  • Also on Friday, my lovely wife is graduating with her Master's Degree in public health. Along with Spider-Man 3, that should make for an interesting day. I'm taking the day off work, and her parents and mine are coming into town early in the afternoon so we can all have dinner together before the ceremony. The ceremony takes place that evening, and then we're having a bunch of friends get together afterwards for drinks. If Brandi's undergraduate graduation is any clue, Friday night has the potential to get out of hand. In a good way, of course.
  • No comments: