Thursday, September 27, 2007

Free People Read Freely

Fair warning: The American Library Association's Banned Books Week begins on Saturday (September 29 - October 6).

As I do each year at this time, I'd like to take this opportunity to challenge and encourage everyone who reads this blog to pick up and read a banned or challenged book (click here for some ideas). Remember, when someone tries to have a book banned, they're saying that they know what's good for you better than you do.

So see what's so dangerous in these books! Even if you find a book that you don't like or don't agree with, wouldn't you rather find that out for yourself than have someone make the decision for you?

For myself, I'm going to use Banned Books Week to kickoff the re-read of the entire Harry Potter series that I've been planning since I finished Deathly Hallows. The Harry Potter series, of course, has faced the most challenges so far in the 21st century. I'll probably also pick up something I haven't read before from the list I linked above--I'm thinking perhaps The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer.

If you're planning to pick up a banned book, or if you have any other comments about Banned Books Week, censorship, or intellectual freedom, the Yawp would love to hear about it. Feel free to leave any comments below.

No comments: