Monday, September 10, 2007

Sidney 17 Troy 14

This shouldn't have even been a game for the Trojans, let alone a loss. They had a chance to put it nearly out of reach early, turning the ball over on downs in the red zone twice in the first half. They could never get anything rolling after that, and the Yellowjackets were able to put together just enough to win it. Give them credit: they were scrappy, and they hung around with a better team that couldn't put them away.

In the end, injuries really did the Trojans in, especially in the defensive secondary. Some guys were out going into the game, and others (including Matt Allen and Corey Brown, two guys who start at halfback as well) went out for at least part of this game. Troy just doesn't have the depth this year to make up for the loss of so many starters.

The game started about 45 minutes late due to some lightning in the area. Silly me, I spent much of the delay thinking the Trojans could probably put up points quickly enough that they would just call the game a final if another delay was necessary. At any rate, I'm just glad that I was at the game by myself. I'll wait out a weather delay all night if necessary, but I know not everyone shares my enthusiasm. Once the storms moved out of the area, it turned into a fairly nice night. A little windy, but nothing to really complain about.

With the loss, the Trojans are now 1-2 on the season. They'll look to get back on track this Friday when they travel to take on Fairborn (2-1). They'll also be looking for some payback, as Fairborn defeated them at home last year on a last-second hail mary pass.

Check out my game photos.

No comments: