Wednesday, November 07, 2007

On to Other Things

Now that the football season is over (for the Trojans, at least), let's see if I can remember how to write about other things....

  • With all the complaining I've done on here about various car problems over the years, I'd be remiss if I neglected to mention that I've finally upgraded. I've gone from a 2000 Neon with over 156,000 miles to a 2003 Taurus with 19,000 miles. Not brand new, but it'll get us by for quite some time. It's awesome to have something I know I can depend on, especially for my frequent trips to Bowling Green and Toledo. It's also nice to get back to power locks and windows after going so long without, and the moonroof is a nice touch as well.

  • Halloween was fun. This was my first chance to give out candy at my own place, since kids never came to the apartments where I lived in Bowling Green. It was a nice night, so I sat outside with a big bowl of candy and a mix of Halloween music coming from my iPod/iHome combo. We had 54 kids come by, if I counted correctly. I was hoping for more, but I really had no idea what to expect. We're in kind of a weird spot, right on the edge of a neighborhood, leading out into farmland and empty area. It didn't help that my neighbors gave up early, leaving me as the only one giving out candy in our little stretch for about half an hour. Still, I enjoyed it. Next year I think I might like to do some sort of outdoor display and a costume to pass out candy, but we'll see what I can come up with.

  • Two days after Halloween, of course, I went into Wal-Mart to pick up a prescription for Brandi, and I was greeted by an enormous Christmas tree in the entryway. Maybe it's just me, but the immediate transition from Halloween to Christmas is pretty jarring. I know it'll never happen, not with so much money to be made, but it would be nice if we could get a little holiday buffer from Halloween to, say, the Monday before Thanksgiving.

  • It's an absolute disgrace that Brandon Phillips didn't win the National League Gold Glove award at second base this year. He does amazing things over there. Orlando Hudson is good, no doubt, but Brandon should have won it this year.

  • On the topic of the Reds, I like Dusty Baker as manager. They still need pitching if they're going to contend in the Central Division, though.

  • Absolutely meaningless, but for what it's worth, I took great pride in voting AGAINST Ohio's Issue 1 this afternoon. I know it didn't count, but dammit, it should.
  • No comments: