Monday, January 21, 2008

Welcome to 2008

Just a few notes, since I haven't posted anything yet this year.

  • Caught some of UFC 80 on Saturday night when Brandi and I went out for some food and drinks. This is the first time I've ever really paid much attention to one of these MMA/ultimate fighting events, and yeah...I just don't get it. It's mildly entertaining, I suppose, when both fighters are standing and actually throwing punches and kicks, but they spent an inordinate amount of time locked up and rolling around on the ground, which is just dull. Mostly I wish they would have left the basketball game on, rather than switching every TV in the place to this event.

  • With the matchup now set, I'm leaning toward not watching the Super Bowl this year. I know, that's very nearly a heresy for a sports fan, but frankly, it would be a waste of my time. Sports are supposed to be fun, a diversion, and there's no joy to be found for me in this year's game. I actively dislike both teams, particularly the quarterbacks, and will be irritated no matter which of them comes out on top. So, while I'm not quite ready to etch it in stone, I'm likely to skip the whole shebang.

  • First impressions on the Presidential race...Mike Huckabee is a nutjob, and moreover, he looks like Kevin Spacey playing a nutjob. Don't vote for him. John Edwards looks like a used-car salesman - far too fake earnest and smiley, and his accent seems over the top. He doesn't strike me as being particularly trustworthy (even as far as politicians go). Mitt Romney just makes me think of Greg Stillson from The Dead Zone--a guy who plays the part in public but who would kick a dog to death if he thought no one was watching. As for who I actually like? I still have plenty of research to do on the candidates, but at present, I'm leaning toward Senator Obama. To me, he seems most likely of everyone to transcend the traditional party-line bullshit and do good (maybe great) things. Wishful thinking, likely, but here's hoping.

  • I'm generally not someone who dislikes winter. I actually like going outside (for short periods of time, granted) when it's so cold that you can actually feel the inside of your nose freeze with your first intake of breath. That said, I'm actually starting to look forward to spring and a bit of warmer weather. I can't wait for the first time I can go sit out on my back porch with a good book and Marty and Thom calling a Reds game on the radio.
  • No comments: