Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Notes From the Road

I'm coming out of my hiatus today during my monthly trip to Toledo for work. I have to say, it seems as though Northwest Ohio has been operating lately under the delusion that it's actually the Pacific Northwest. Every time I've been up this way lately, it's been raining, and not just a little. The entire city of Findlay is probably underwater at this point, and lucky me, I get to drive through it on my way home tomorrow. I'm seriously tired of driving in the rain. I was planning to go out tonight and pick up a pair of jeans, maybe get a haircut. Instead, I don't really even feel like heading out to get something to eat.

Of course, this trip got off to an inauspicious beginning as early as yesterday afternoon. My list of deadlines for the year listed this month's deadline as the 12th, meaning I would come up on the 11th, which is tomorrow. Yesterday, about fifteen minutes short of quitting time, I accidentally found out that deadline had been moved up a day and no one had let me know. It wasn't a terribly big deal to come up a day early, but I have certain things I like to do on the day before I make my deadline trip to make sure everything is in order for me to work in the business office instead of the home office, and since I didn't get to do any of that, I've spent the past 26 hours feeling like I've forgotten something. Yesterday I was flustered; today I'm fried. The good news is that it doesn't seem like I did forget anything, and I think we're in good shape for tomorrow, the actual deadline day, to go pretty smoothly. Yes, I'm knocking on wood as I type that, just in case.

This has been a bit of a crazy month anyway. We normally publish three catalogs per month; this month we're doing five. On top of that, for the past year or so I've had a proofreading minion that has helped take some of the load off my shoulders; starting this month she took a position in the IT department, so the responsibility for those five catalogs was mine and mine alone. I don't mind that - in fact, I went out of my way to assure my boss that it was fine and that I didn't need any help - but after working the bulk of the month under a pace I normally only achieve during the last week and a half or so, I'm ready for it to be over. I think next month we're back to our normal schedule, which will be nice. Of course, I say that now, and in reality I'll probably end up being bored out of my mind.

If you actually visit the Yawp instead of reading from an RSS feed, you'll have noticed by now that I've joined the Twitter craze (and if you do subscribe via RSS, here's the link if you want to follow me). That's part of why I've been out of action for so long, I think, as I've used Twitter as a blogging substitute of sorts. But I don't think there's any reason why I should do one to the exclusion of the other, so I'll probably get back to a little more regular action here as well.

And there should be no shortage of topics - the BG men's hoops team is in position to make a run in the MAC tournament; Brandi and I just started looking for a house; I'm planning to get back into some sort of exercise regimen at some point; and more. So stay tuned!

No comments: