Friday, October 22, 2010

Troy 50 Miamisburg 14

After watching last week's game from behind the endzone and being mostly unable to really tell what was going on, it was nice to get back to a regular perspective. Also, after a loss last week, it was nice to see the Trojans get back to their winning ways.

This was my first trip to Miamisburg's Harmon Field - the last time Troy played the Vikings was in the first round of the 2000 playoffs, a game at Troy Memorial Stadium (that was also a big win for the Trojans, by the way). At first glance, it seemed like a stadium I wouldn't like - there was no parking lot, so parking was just on nearby side streets; it's an older, relatively small stadium, particularly on the visitors' side; amenities were limited. In actuality, though, I loved it. It might have jumped to the top of my list of favorite stadiums to visit. I was actually pretty bummed that I decided against taking my camera. The crowd was fairly small (the winner of the 50/50 drawing took home just $35) and I got there early, so parking wasn't an issue. I parked right across from the stadium, actually - when I took my seat in the top row of the visitors' stands, I found that I could actually see my car. And the setting was just awesome. It's in a neighborhood, which I love, and there were plenty of trees around. I could smell the falling leaves and a nearby fire, and combined with a little chill in the air, it was a perfect fall evening, one I would bottle if I could and label it "High School Football." Absolutely perfect.

Of course, it helped that the Trojans took care of business and put Miamisburg away early. Really, there's not a whole lot to say about the game - Troy dominated in all phases. Which they should have, considering they came into the game at 6-2 whereas Miamisburg was 1-7. If they had wanted to post another shutout, they likely could have done so.

As hard as it is to believe, the regular season wraps up next Friday. The winless Sidney Yellowjackets come to Troy for senior night with a playoff berth possibly on the line for the Trojans. Sidney won't provide much help in terms of computer points, so we'll have to hope for some help.

No comments: