Monday, June 27, 2011

Music Notes

In light of Saturday's post on Michael Jackson, I've had a few other music-related thoughts floating around in my brain. Since I'm up early for no apparent reason this morning, I thought I'd toss 'em out there.

Desert Island Albums
In alphabetical but otherwise no particular order:

The Beatles - Abbey Road
Angie Aparo - The American
Guns 'n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
P.M. Dawn - The Bliss Album...?
Michael Jackson - Thriller


Favorite Songs
These are in order--for today. Ask me tomorrow and the order may have changed, or some of the songs may be different. You know how it goes.

Van Morrison - "Tupelo Honey"
Edwin McCain - "Sign on the Door"
The Beatles - "Hey Jude"
Guns 'n' Roses - "Patience"
John Lennon - "Imagine"
Dar Williams - "After All"
P.M. Dawn - "The Ways of the Wind"
Edwin McCain - "3 A.M."
The Beatles - "Eleanor Rigby"
Patty Griffin - "Tony"

The Collection
I'm pretty sure Thriller was the first album I had on cassette, but I can't swear to it. When I was in eighth grade, my brother Jim gave me a Sony Discman, and I switched to CDs. My first CD was Slaughter's Stick It to Ya, which, sadly, isn't quite in the same league as Thriller. Right now, there are 5,849 songs in my iTunes library (just 78 of which I've rated with five stars).At 36.39 GB, my 40GB iPod is close to being maxed out. However, it's entirely possible that Google Music will let me phase out my iPod (except, most likely, for long car trips).

Concerts
I've actually lost count of the number of times I've seen Edwin McCain perform live--it's somewhere around 13-15. I've seen him in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Detroit, and even Ypsilanti. The biggest concert I've been to, I'm sad to say, was when I took my wife Brandi to see Britney Spears in Columbus two years ago. Aside from that, it was either No Doubt in '97 or Def Leppard in '99 (I think). My first concert was Firehouse ("Don't Treat Me Bad," "Love of a Lifetime") and Alias ("More Than Words Can Say") when I was in junior high. And not too long after that, I can remember being extremely upset about not being allowed to go see Motley Crue and Warrant. What can I say? I had exquisite musical taste.

I would love to see Paul McCartney when he comes to Cincinnati in August, but it seems pretty unlikely that I'll be able to make that happen.

No comments: