Thursday, November 01, 2012

Challenge Accepted

November is National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo, believe it or not). The idea, more or less, is to write an entire novel of at least 50,000 words over the course of thirty days, one calendar month.

I've decided to participate, not quite but almost on the spur of the moment, with a slight caveat. I have no particular intention of actually completing a novel. I don't feel like I have a novel-worthy idea at the moment. I do have several small ideas, though; whether or not they could be spun together into a novel is a possibility (however remote), but that's not how I'm approaching it. I'm thinking of it, for myself, as NaStoWriMo, as I'll be attempting mostly just to churn out a few stories and snippets.

I'm hanging onto the numerical goal, though: 50,000 words of fiction. I won't be counting blog posts, emails, or copy created for work, tempting as it may be. That may be too ambitious--I have no idea--but that's what I'm shooting for. Watch this space for updates.

No comments: