Friday, November 01, 2013

Piqua 33 Troy 27

Ugh. The story of this game is so much like the story of most of Troy's games this season. Miles Hibbler was spectacular, save for one costly fumble. The Trojans overall made mistake after mistake and were unable to overcome them. After spotting Piqua a big lead, the Trojans were able to come back enough to make it interesting, but they couldn't quite get over the hump for the win.

So yes, in many ways this game was just another familiar refrain, but it was different in two ways. The first is that it was against Piqua, and a loss to them always stings more than a loss to any other team. It's disheartening that the Trojans couldn't get their heads in the game and find a higher level of focus against their archrival, but I guess it's not surprising--if they had achieved that level of focus, then we'd be left to wonder why they hadn't found it sooner. The second difference is that it was the last game of the season, meaning there's no hope that they'll finally put it all together next week. The bad taste in Troy's mouth will last until they tee it up against Chaminade-Julienne at Troy Memorial Stadium on August 29, 2014.

And that's where we stand. The Trojans finish the season at a very disappointing 3-7, 1-4 and in a three-way tie for last place in the GWOC North. It's going to be a long offseason.

One thing that doesn't fit into the game narrative that I wanted to mention: I took the day off from work, which I like to do on the day of the Troy-Piqua game. Usually, in years past, that would mean an early arrival at the stadium to ensure I'd get a seat. With both teams coming into this game at 3-6, I figured the crowd would be smaller than usual for a Troy-Piqua game, so I went at a slightly less insane time. As I crossed the Market Street Bridge, probably just after 6:00, I was stunned to see the stadium nearly empty. By the time the game kicked off at 7:00, there was a decent crowd, but there were plenty of empty seats. Yeah, both teams are down, but man...I just don't get it.

I have some thoughts on that, and on Troy football in general. I'll take a look back at "the season that was" in the next week or so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the season of Troy football insight. I always look forward to your weekly recap of Troy's games. Interested to hear your thoughts on whether Scot can cut is as a head coach. Nolan was at a minimum good for a .500 season and Scot has failed to meet that mark for two straight seasons.