Friday, September 16, 2016

Troy 42 Fairborn 14

Another Friday night football game, another lightning delay. At least this one didn't cause the rest of the game to be postponed until the next day. The delay began at 7:12, just after Troy scored their first touchdown of the night. I didn't bring my rain gear (you'd think by now I would have learned to just keep it in my trunk at all times, just in case, but apparently I haven't), so I left the stadium and went back to my car. I listened to Marty Brennaman call the beginning of the Reds game, always a worthwhile endeavor, and tuned into my pal David Fong on Twitter to stay updated on when the game would resume. I headed back into the stadium at 8:15; the Trojans kicked off at 8:24, and the rest of the game went off without a hitch.

About the game itself, there isn't a whole lot to say. Fairborn, now 0-4, just isn't a very good team this year, and the Trojans had their way with them from beginning pretty much until the end. The Skyhawks didn't even get a first down until midway through the second quarter, and they had negative offensive yards in the first half. With the score 35-0 at halftime, this game marked the first time Troy had forced a running clock on an opponent, which is a nice change from having it forced upon them. Troy's starters played sparingly (if at all) in the second half. Give Fairborn credit, though: they never gave up, and their student section was in full voice until the final horn sounded. So that was pretty cool.

So the Trojans, now 4-0 on the season, got their first and probably only real breather of the season. Next week they'll face another test as the 3-1 Miamisburg Vikings invade Troy Memorial Stadium. And after that, things get really interesting, as GWOC North play begins the following week with an intriguing home matchup with the Tippecanoe Red Devils. As good as the Trojans have looked so far, it's time for them to tighten up their chinstraps and really show what they're made of. Should be fun.

No comments: