Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Deliver Me From Boredom

Here I sit, with absolutely no work to do. This is the worst kind of day. The time absolutely crawls by, and the end of the day seems to draw no closer. Even worse, I have nothing especially on my mind that I care to write about. That being the case, I think it's time to bust out another edition of Random Notes. I may have trouble even filling one of these. I'm feeling strangely blank today.

  • I'm sure everyone will be relieved to know that I've already managed to secure tickets for Brandi and myself to go see Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban on the first day it opens (Friday, June 4). I got tickets to the latest showing (10:10 p.m.) in hopes that as few children as possible will be there. I'm sure there will still be some, but the later time will keep it to a minimum. Hopefully.
  • Speaking of movies...I've been seeing a lot of previews lately for the movie The Day After Tomorrow. Movies like this are not exactly uncommon, and it just makes me wonder: what exactly is the fascination we, as a culture (and perhaps as a species), have with seeing depictions of our world/society being wiped out? Independence Day, Armageddon, Stephen King's The Stand...there are plenty of examples. I want to see this movie myself, so I'm certainly not excluded from the phenomenon, I'm just fascinated by it. It's a little morbid, don't you think?
  • The Cincinnati Reds are currently 26-18. That not only puts them alone in first place in the National League Central, it's also the best record in all of the National League. I'm the hardest of die-hards when it comes to the Reds, but not even I saw them doing this well. They've played 44 games, which is more than 25% of the 162-game schedule. This is manager Dave Miley's first full year with the major league club, and it's the only year on his contract. If he isn't offered another contract sometime soon, there's something seriously wrong. Who are the Reds going to get that will do better?
  • I haven't played my PlayStation since Saturday afternoon. I expect to have a seizure anytime now.
  • A sales rep just came to visit me from a steel company we purchase from quite often. He brought me a cool-ass pen. This almost makes it worth showing up today.
  • No it doesn't.
  • So, uh...anyone in the Toledo area need a good copy editor?
  • No comments: