Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Go Packers!!!

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Sports (Winning Tradition)

Let's get one thing straight from the outset. I am not a Packers fan by any means. I'm mostly neutral toward them, but I absolutely despise Brett Favre, who I have been known to describe as "the most overrated human being in the history of mankind." That said, this Sunday I will be donning a purely metaphorical "cheesehead" and pulling for the Packers with all I have.

It seems that, in every election since 1936, the U.S. Presidential election has been foretold by the last Washington Redskins home game before the election takes place. If the Redskins win, the incumbent party holds the White House; if they lose, the challenging party takes office. For this election, Judgment Day is this Sunday, when the Packers come into town to face the Redskins. If this holds true to form, a Redskins loss on Sunday would equate to a Bush loss on Tuesday. Considering the Redskins are pretty bad this year, and the Packers are on a hot streak right now, Mr. Bush might want to get a head start on packing his things.

In all honesty, I give absolutely no credence to this streak, other than as an incredibly interesting coincidence. Still, as it's been dependable to this point, and as I have no allegiance to either team anyway, it certainly doesn't hurt to pull for the Packers. You know, just in case.

The election is now just a week away, so here I'll make my final (probably) plea. If you haven't decided yet, vote for Kerry. Giving Mr. Bush another four years, a term in which he doesn't have to worry about re-election, is a frightening proposition. I can't think of one single thing he's done right. I'm not going to rehash his long list of failures. After nearly four years, the evidence is out there. If you're still on his side after this long, nothing is going to change your mind.

Admittedly, there have been times when I haven't been exactly thrilled with Mr. Kerry as the other viable option. I do, however, believe he'll make a better President than candidate. I firmly believe that he's the better of the two options we have for the next four years, and while he may not be the perfect candidate who will solve all of our nation's ills (such a person doesn't exist, I'm sure), I do trust him to get us back on the right track. I have great fear of what another Bush term would do to the U.S.; I have no such fear if Kerry is in charge. I think the U.S., and the world, needs Mr. Kerry to win this election.

Even if it means I have to root for Brett Favre for a week.

No comments: