Friday, October 13, 2017

Troy 48 Sidney 21


Years ago, before the #4 was retired for the Trojans (because Ryan Brewer was still wearing it), at some point during the week I'd take a look at Friday's matchup for the Trojans and make some predictions about the way the game was going to go. I don't do that anymore—partially because I'm not as plugged into the Dayton-area high school football scene as I used to be and partially because I don't have anyone to tell that would really care—but I did have some basic thoughts going into this one.

Sidney tailback Isaiah Bowser is having an absolutely incredible year, but in the battle of the irresistible force vs. the immovable object, my vote was for Troy's defense. I've just seen them play so well this season, and I knew they'd have another great effort against Bowser. I was actually more concerned about Andre Gordon, the Yellowjackets' quarterback. If I was making predictions, I would have said that Bowser would have fewer than 100 yards rushing, and that Gordon would have more than he did. And with Sidney's shaky defense, I felt like the Trojans might be able to win this one handily.

I know I get no kudos now for predictions I never spoke aloud or committed to paper or screen, but nevertheless, this game played out pretty much exactly like I expected. Sidney's having an incredible season, the likes of which they haven't seen in a very long time, but they just didn't quite seem to be quite ready for a game of this magnitude. They seemed to be pressing to make things happen, which resulted in their five turnovers. With their defense unable to stop Troy's offense more than just occasionally, that was pretty much the ballgame.

One specific thing I want to mention: Jaydon Culp-Bishop's 99-yard touchdown run in the third quarter was one of the most incredible things I've seen on a football field. He had a massive hole to run through, and once he hit it, I looked at the angles of the defenders and, with his speed, knew he had a great chance to take it to the house. Considering the Yellowjackets were in great shape with the Trojans pinned at the 1, that had to be a shattering blow. To Sidney's credit, though, they never let the deficit get to running-clock territory. They fought hard. When the bright lights shine down on them for their next big game (which probably won't come until the playoffs roll around), I think they'll be more ready for it.

This was Troy's last road game of the year--or, at least, for the regular season. They'll return home next week to take on Greenville (2-6). That may not sound like a premier matchup, but it should be a great opportunity for the Trojans (now 6-2) to take a breath and get some things tuned up before the Week 10 tilt with archrival Piqua (and then, hopefully, the playoffs).

No comments: