Saturday, October 12, 2019

Rocktober 12: Skid Row

"Monkey Business"


Early in 1992, shortly after New Year's, I remember being sick and out of school for a couple of days as a high school freshman. During those days, anytime I was awake, all I was doing was playing the video game Actraiser on Super Nintendo and listening to Skid Row's Slave to the Grind album; I had received both for Christmas. I offer this story for today because I've come down with a cold, which just makes me think of long days in bed with Sprite and television.

It's really too bad that Skid Row got saddled with the hair metal label. Although they used many of the same trappings and performed alongside many of the more prototypical bands of the time, this is honestly just a damned fine rock album. They had the hair, but they didn't skimp on the metal. It seems like personality conflicts within the band probably drove them apart moreso than the decline of the genre, but still. I feel like this album deserves better than to be dismissed as just another '80s cheeesefest. I mean, I feel like criticism of that type is unwarranted for the genre as a whole, but this just feels like a separate thing altogether.

No comments: