Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Rocktober 15: Britny Fox

"Long Way to Love"


The theme for this week may well turn out to be "Bands and Songs I Like But About Which I Haven't Much to Say." Such is the case for Britny Fox. Man, these guys looked like Cinderella, which makes sense if you know the band originally contained two former members of Cinderella.

Wikipedia tells me that "Long Way to Love" was the band's first single, while I remember hearing "Girlschool" (their biggest hit) first. However, while I liked "Girlschool" just fine, it was this song that put me over the top, probably because it showed that "Dizzy" Dean Davidson actually had a pretty decent singing voice beyond his trademark high-pitched yowl. Dean left the band after two albums, and Wikipedia tells me he expressed at least a mild distaste for Britny Fox's sound afterward. That's disappointing to me, but I get it. This kind of music was making money hand over fist in those days, and any band with rock inclinations was going to be pushed in this direction whether it was the kind of music they really wanted to make or not.

No comments: