Friday, October 18, 2019

Rocktober 18: Trixter

"One in a Million"


This is one of those songs that, as a pre-teen/teen (it was just before my 13th birthday when the album came out), I related to hard. And I'll note that the version in the video above is not the album version—I suppose it's possible that it was actually recorded live. And I'll further note that I'm pretty sure this was the second CD I owned.

Trixter, to me, is a contrast with Great White, who I noted yesterday had a more mature sound. Which isn't to say that Trixter has an immature sound, but I seem to recall that the band members (at least some of them, or hell, maybe even only one of them; it was a long time ago) were just out of their teens (or maybe not even) when they started to break big. And that showed in their music. Their debut album is straightforward, fun, fresh rock. Their second album, Hear!, came out in 1992 as the music scene was changing, and while I did buy a copy, it took me a long time to pay any attention to it. Their third, an EP of cover songs released in 1994, I haven't managed to track down. I know Steve Brown has worked with Def Leppard through some of Vivian Campbell's health issues, and Trixter has put out a couple of albums (maybe live ones? I'm not sure) in the 2010s, so these guys are still around, doing their thing.

No comments: