Thursday, October 24, 2019

Rocktober 24: Kik Tracee

"Don't Need Rules"


These guys were kind of under the radar. They came in right at the tail end of the hair metal movement, only put out a couple of decently received songs, and then disappeared without ever releasing a second album. I really liked them, though. They seemed to have a little more depth than the average party band, and a cool sound.

Two quick Kik Tracee stories. The first is that one day my dad popped into my room while I had this album on, and their cover of "Mrs. Robinson" was playing. Dad's face curled up and he was like, "What the hell is this? This is terrible." And then he wandered away, whatever he came in to say being forgotten completely. Second: I mentioned in the Slaughter post that my brother gave me a Discman, and that's how I transitioned from cassette tapes to CDs. The Discman had a rechargeable battery, and it was terrible. I would take it with me when I went to school in the morning, but it usually had just enough charge to last through waiting for the bus—maybe a few minutes of the ride, but definitely no more than that. Anyway, at one point, this album was my morning disc for several days running, and for whatever reason that particular week a couple of girls at my bus stop decided they really wanted to listen to whatever I was listening to. They'd ask for my headphones, and I'm, like, terminally accommodating, so I'd hand them over, usually just in time for them to listen for maybe a minute or two before the battery ran out. So they'd just hand them back with these confused and disappointed looks on their faces, and I thought it was hilarious.

I know that's a terrible story. I just can't hear one of these songs without remembering it.

No comments: