Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Rocktober 29: Poison

"Talk Dirty to Me"


If you asked me to name just one band from the hair metal era, without a doubt, ten times out of ten I'm going to say Poison. Not because they're the best or my favorite, but because they are the perfect example of what hair metal looked and sounded like. With rockers like this, "Nothin' But a Good Time," and "Unskinny Bop," plus ballads like "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" and "Something to Believe In," these were the poster boys for '80s excess. And with all those (and way more) to pick from for this entry, I really wanted to go with "So Tell Me Why," a lesser-known hit from Swallow This Live, their two-disc live set that had a handful of new studio tracks as well. I didn't pick that one mostly because, on the brink of leaving the band, C.C. barely appeared in the video, and this one (still a great tune) is more representative.

When I was a kid, I had a blue button-down shirt that my Aunt Lou (Rachel's mom) painted on the back with some Poison artwork...not an album cover, but some other logo of theirs. I wonder if that's still floating around my parents' house somewhere. Probably not...I loved that thing, probably wore it ragged. Sometime when I'm there I'll have to see if I can find a photo, at least.

I'm not exactly sure what Poison's status as a band is right now. I feel like they get together for a tour every once in a while, but that's about it. I'd like to see them live. Bret Michaels played a solo show at Hobart Arena in Troy (my hometown) in September (with Firehouse as the opener), and I thought about going but didn't. I should have. I've heard it was a good show, and it would have been cool to see Firehouse again all these years later.

No comments: