Thursday, October 03, 2019

Rocktober 3: White Lion

"Love Don't Come Easy"


White Lion is on today's docket for the simple reason that I woke up with one of their songs stuck in my head. It was not this song, however; it was "When the Children Cry," which is probably their biggest hit. I went instead with "Love Don't Come Easy," for two reason. For one, although it has grown on me somewhat over the years, back in the day "When the Children Cry" was too cloying for me.

For two...well, perhaps because of my feelings about "When the Children Cry," I was never the biggest White Lion fan (although Vito Bratta was known for playing a headless guitar, which I thought was incredibly cool). Still, when I first heard this song as a very much "in my feelings" soon-to-be 14-year-old, I related to it hard. "Yeah, man...love really don't come easy." Embarrassing, looking back, but there it is. And because of that, I still have a soft spot for it. Not gonna lie, I love this song.

And it's funny, now that I think about it, just how much my initial distaste for "When the Children Cry" has colored my feelings for the band. Even now, all I have in my collection is one album (Pride, which is, hilariously, the album which contains the offending track) and their greatest hits album. So I'm not terribly familiar with their deep cuts, and yet they have quite a few songs I like a lot. This song? "Wait"? "Little Fighter"? "Cry for Freedom"? Great tunes all. So I guess what we've learned today is that I need more White Lion in my life. And that I was dumb as a teenager.

No comments: