Thursday, September 09, 2004

The Working Lunch

I think a tuna sandwich on toast sounds lovely right about now.

Instead, I'm eating a leftover roast beef sub I bought yesterday at Subway. It's probably for the best. I don't know of anywhere around here to get the kind of tuna sandwich I'm looking for anyway. The closest I could probably get would be the tuna sub, also from Subway, and that just wouldn't cut it. I've had one before. Frankly, it wasn't very good.

So I've got this roast beef sub on my desk, and it tastes pretty good. I'm working through my lunch break today to make up for leaving an hour early last Friday. That and the fact that we're so damned busy that I can't afford to leave the office.

Okay, I made that last part up. We're not very busy at all. I have time to blog, don't I? In truth, even taking time to write, I doubt I have enough work to last through my lunch hour, let alone the rest of the day. That's how it's been for, oh, the last two years or so. Give or take, of course.

I hate staying here through my lunch hour. When I finally get to leave at 5:00 this afternoon, it'll feel like I've been here for a month. Getting out of here for a little bit breaks up the day and makes it a little more bearable. That's why I've resisted the recurring idea of bringing my lunch to work. There's really nowhere to eat it, except at my desk, and I really like just getting out for a while. If there was a park or something nearby, that would be great, but there isn't.

I'd much rather be just about anywhere but here, reading The Winds of War and having a fresh meal. Instead, I'm still at my desk with very little to do. I suppose that's what I get for taking that hour off last week. Next time maybe I'll just forego that one hour's worth of pay.

No comments: