Thursday, November 11, 2004

Decisions, Decisions

Today was an interesting day.

My interview was this afternoon. There wasn't much to it, really. I had to fill out an application and take a proofreading test and a spelling test. The interview itself was pretty standard stuff. I didn't spend any time preparing or really even thinking about what I was going to say, but I did well nonetheless. I was confident and came up with answers easily. Then the HR lady showed me around the place a little bit, and that was it. I was in there for almost an hour, and then I headed back to work.

The place reminded me a lot of Spring Hill Nurseries, where I worked for a while shortly after graduation until they went out of business. The work is very similar, and the office situation seems about the same. The only difference is that the Spring Hill operation was split up between Peoria, Grand Rapids, and two locations in Tipp City, OH (where I was). At this new place the whole operation is at one facility, which probably makes things run a lot more smoothly.

Shortly after I got back to work, I got another call from the HR lady who had interviewed me. There was someone she had wanted me to meet during my interview, but that person was out of the office, so she wanted to know if I could stop back in after I got off work. I did so, and talked to them for another twenty minutes or so, and it ended up with them offering me the job.

Now I have a decision to make, and there are pros and cons to each place. The starting pay at the new place is even less than I make now, and that's saying something. The work week is also less than forty hours. That would be full time and I would have benefits, but I would have to pay something for them, whereas my insurance is free right now. On those points, the advantage goes to my current employment. However, at the new place, there is room for advancement, which I do not have now. They assured me that the pay scale would rise as I picked things up. They also spoke glowingly of the workplace atmosphere, and said the company owner is a good person to work for. That would be new to me. There are occasional bonuses (at least one per year), which I don't think my current boss has ever even heard of. There are other minor perks, like being able to wear jeans to work.

I'm still not 100% sure, but I feel like I'm talking myself into it. I've said and believed for a long time that there are more important things than money, and this is definitely a chance to put that belief into action. I'm sure I would like a proofreading job a great deal more than what I'm currently doing. Finances may be a little tighter than normal for a while until and unless some pay raises occur, but that's life. I'll just have to make sure I do what it takes to get those pay raises.

Another thing to consider is that I've been at my current job for almost three years. That whole time, I've been looking for a job in my field, and this is the first time I've even gotten an interview, let alone been offered the job. If I don't take this one, how much longer will I have to wait? Also, given the way business has been going, how much longer is my current company going to be in business? Things have been picking up somewhat lately, but I would still describe it as "touch and go." The owner could decide to pull the plug at any time. I think it's best if I get myself out from under that, and into something that I know I'm good at and enjoy.

I think tomorrow it will be time for me to accept my new adventure. Hopefully it will turn out to be a good thing.

No comments: